Dhanishtha nakshatra in vedic astrology is the 23rd nakshatra in vedic astrology
Signs and degrees
The nakshatra spreads from 23.20 degree of Capricorn to 6.40 degree of Aquarius. Dhanishtha nakshatra has equal degrees in both the sign which is 6.40 degree. So the nakshatra has equal traits of both the signs.
Name and representation:
Dhan+ Ishtha= Dhanishtha, Dhan means wealth and ishtha means desire. So it means desire of wealth. So the depper meaning is ” The wealthiest” or “the most beneficial one”. Hence the nakshatra connects to materialism. The alternate name of Dhanishtha nakshatra is Sarvistha. It means the one whose all desires are fulfilled.
Drums, damru of Lord Shiva or flute represents the nakshatra.
The deity of the nakshatra are 8 vasus which are Apa, Dhruv, Dhar, Anil, Som, Anal, Pratyush and Prabhas. The nakshatra lord is Mars. Sign lord is Saturn in Capricorn and Saturn coruled by rahu in Aquarius.
The 8 vasu saw a divine cow in forest and the eldest of the Vasu planned to steal it. The divine cow was none other than sage Vasistha in cow avatar who came to know the intention of the vasus through meditative power.
He cursed all the 8 vasus for their wrong intention and stated that they need to live human life on earth. When 8 vasus asked for forgiveness, the sage modified the curse and said that 7 of the 8 vasus will be immediately liberated from human life right after their birth.
But the one who planned it , the eldest of the Vasu, have to live human life on earth till he gets the liberation.
River Ganga promised to give birth to all the 8 vasus after her marriage with king Shantanu and liberated 7 of them by flowing in Ganga itself. The eldest of Vasu was alive. The eldest Vasu is Dev-Vrat or Bhihma in Mahabharata.
Various interpretation of the nakshatra:
Dhanishtha Nakshatra 1st Pada:
The first pada of this Nakshatra comes in the Leo Navamsa and is ruled by the Sun. The native will achieve success in all fields due to combined effects of Mars, Saturn and the Sun. On the other hand, they can have difficulty in marriage.
Dhanishtha Nakshatra 2nd Pada:
The second pada of this Nakshatra comes in the Virgo Navamsa ruled by Mercury. They have good communication skills . They can also have difficulty in marriage but athletic and musical skills will be good.
Dhanishtha Nakshatra 3rd Pada:
The third pada of this Nakshatra comes in the Libra Navamsa ruled by Venus. Marriage will be a success. At the same time, they will excel in performing arts, astrology, and spirituality.
Dhanishtha Nakshatra 4th Pada:
The fourth pada comes in the Scorpio Navamsa ruled by Mars. They can excel in outdoor games, and physical activities that requires a lot of energy. They will care for the under-privileged, but will not be able to avoid the friction at home.
- Each of the 8 Vasu represents certain traits and characters. Hence such people may have all those characters.
- Apa represents music talent, confidence, overconfidence, aggressiveness, braveness.
- Dhruv represents trust worthiness and perseverance.
- Dhar represents wisdom, charity and communication.
- Anil represents business ability, resourcefulness.
- Anal represents rationalism, intelligence and energy.
- Pratyush represents happiness and joy.
- Prabhas represents well natured and humorous nature.
- Som represents gentle nature and sensitivity.
- They can be financially very stable and can also work in finance field.
- As Dhanistha nakshatra is all about materialistic gains and abundance, they can be inclined towards gaining materialistic things.
- They can also be confident and ambitious.
- As the nakshatra is represented by musical intruments, they can be in music and dance field, they can also be in sports and physical activity as nakshatra lord is Mars. They can be playing drums or flutes so they can be in those fields too.
- They can be good at mingling with people especially in Aquarius sign.
- As the story is associated with Bhisma who was a celibate, they can have a poor married life or relationship issues especially when a relationship oriented planet are placed in 5th and 7th house of the nakshatra .