Ardra nakshatra is the sixth nakshatra in vedic astrology.
Signs and degrees
The nakshatra extends from 6. 40 degrees of Gemini till 20 degrees of Gemini. As the whole nakshatra is within Gemini so the nakshatra carries all the significance of the Gemini sign.
Meaning of Ardra nakshatra
Ardra means “the moist one”, ardra also means freshness, greenery and also teardrop. The destructive form of Lord Shiva is known as Rudra. The rudra form plays a vital role and carries significant meaning in this nakshatra. The main symbol of the nakshatra is diamond though teardrop represents it.
The activation ages of the ardra nakshatra are 15th, 18th, 24th, 37th, 42nd and 61st year of age.
The presiding deity of ardra nakshatra is Rudra. Rudra is the destructive form of Shiva. The lord of ardra nakshatra is Rahu and the lord of Gemini is mercury.
To understand the mythology of Ardra nakshatra we need to understand the mythological of mrigashira nakshatra. When Brahma took the form of deer to incest with Rohini, other Gods went to Shiva to prevent the immoral act of Brahma.
Then Shiva took the form of Rudra and all the other Gods bestowed their power on him in the form of weapon or arrow. Then Rudra shot the arrow on Brahma and cut one of his head. In this way Shiva prevented Brahma from immoral act of incest with Rohini.
Ardra nakshatra pada 1:
The first pada of the nakshatra is in Sagittarius navamsa. Jupiter rules Sagittarius . There is curiosity and desire to explode. Planets in the pada are relaxed and prone to material excesses
Ardra nakshatra pada 2:
The second pada falls in Capricorn Navamsa ruled by Saturn. It signifies material ambition and frustration. The negative qualities intensifies in the nakshatra.
Interpretation of the nakshatra:
- This is the first malefic nakshatra that represents negative events like accident, transformation and sudden events. As it represents the troublesome part of life so it is represented by teardrop.
- The reason of diamond representing it is because through changes and havoc we realize our true potential just like a diamond is formed after a lot of heat and depth in coal mines.
- The nakshatra represents both physical and emotional turmoil.
- The nakshatra can also bring a lot of nightmares and the person may not sleep peacefully.
- It can also represents destructive events like war and weapons.
- Moon in ardra nakshatra can be troublesome as mother of the native may face accident, sudden events and changes in life. Meditation can calm the mind if moon in the nakshatra.
- It can also represents natural disaster like storm, cyclone etc.
Positive traits of ardra nakshatra
The native can show interest in archery as Shiva shot an arrow om Brahma.
The nakshatra can help someone reach foreign land as Rahu and Gemini both shows travelling.
As Rahu also represents invention, the native can be into technological and scientific innovation. It also represents cuts and injuries.