The term “Ashtakvarga ” in vedic astrology is derived from two Sanskrit word, “Ashtak” means “group of eight” and “varga” means “divisions”. Here group of eight refers to sun, moon, mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Mars, Saturn and birth chart lagna. Rahu and ketu are excluded from the “Ashtak”. Each graha has certain benefic points known as “bindus” in astrology that get distributed to other signs and houses. The bindus are distributed from eight locations:
- From the own natal position.
- From natal position of each graha.
- the ascendant or lagna.
The benefic points carried by each graha are mentioned below
- Jupiter distributes 56 benefic points.
- Mercury distributes 54 benefic points.
- Venus distributes 52 benefic points
- Moon distributes 49 benefic points
- Sun distributes 48 benefic points
- Mars distributes 39 benefic points
- Saturn distributes 39 benefic points
So in total there are 337 benefic points. The individual point total for each graha in each sign is known as Binashtakvarga.
If the distribution takes place in a perfectly even way than each house will get 28 benefic points. But such type of cases are not often. This summary total of every sign / houses is known as Sarvashtakvarga. The least amount of benefic points a planet can get in any sign is zero and the most is eight. Ashtakvarga should also be based on Rasi chart. To consider the strength of a house we must consider both binashtakvarga and Sarvashtakvarga.
Points to remember
The following points needs to be taken into consideration for Ashtakvarga table:
- The average baseline strength of any planet is 28.
- The higher points especially points above 30 in any sign or house are favorable for that sign or house.
- The lower points especially points below 25 are unfavorable for that sign/house
- The sign or house with points above 35 are very strong
- The sign or house with points below 20-21 are very weak
While judging a horoscope, Ashtakvarga chart is not the only chart that should be followed, the position of planet ruling the house also determines the prosperity of a house. The lord of a house aspecting its own house increases the richness of the house.
If the benefic points or bindus of 11th house is more than the 10th house and if benefic points or bindus of 12th house is less than that of first house. And if the ascendant is strong with benefics, the person can lead a fortunate and wealthy life.
Auspicious houses and Ashtakvarga points
It is good if 9th, 10th, 11th and 1st house are strong as 9th house represents your fortune and luck, 10th house is the reputation in society and 11th house is your gains and 1st house is individual body/ health. At the same time, it is very favorable if all the houses has more than 30 points and unfavorable if all the houses have less than 25 points.
It is better to have more benefic in 11th house than 10th house as it would indicate more gains with less efforts.
LIkewise, 12th house should have less bindus than 11th house as it would prevent the looses of an individual and would help in more gains.
This is a term used by K.N. Rao to indicate major changes in benefic points from one house to the next. He considered the remarkable changes of points from one house to next as Quantum leaps.
- If one house has lower number of benefic points while the next house has tremendous increase in benefic points the person can experience a spectacular sudden rise.
- When the difference in points are moderate, the person can lead a steady life with no major rise and fall.
- if there are quantum leaps up and down in several places, the life can be full of ups and downs.
K. N. Rao also considered the Bindus of eleventh house from:
- Moon lagna
- Sun lagna
- Saturn lagna (public support)
- 11th from dasha planet/ antardasha
K.N.Rao considered the Bindus of 11th house from Saturn especially when the person is a celebrity/politician. As 6th house is the house of competition and 11th house is the house of victory, these two houses are very important for politician and when those two houses are connected and are beneficial it indicates victory in competition.
Transits and Ashtakvarga:
When a planet transits through a strong Ashtakvarga house it gives favourable result. The higher the points, the more favorable the transits.
When a planet transits through a weak Ashtakvarga house, it gives weak result. The lower the points, the more unfavorable the transits.